Scotland’s crown jewels have a long and exciting history. The 2nd oldest in the world, they were nearly captured and sold off by Oliver Cromwell in the 1650s. They were taken to Dunottar Castle for safekeeping, but the castle was besieged for 8 months. Just before it fell, the jewels were lowered down the sea-cliff to a servant pretending to gather seaweed. They were then concealed in Kinneff Church for 9 years until the Restoration of King Charles II.
After the Treaty of Union 1707, the Honours were placed in a chest and locked away in Edinburgh Castle. Forgotten for over 100 years, they were recovered by Sir Walter Scott for a royal visit in 1822, and have been on display in Edinburgh Castle ever since.